Today's piece of wisdom: Never, ever update anything on your server.
I updated our Library's server to a new version of the Linux kernel, because of it's improved memory management and scheduling features, as well as some neat hardware support.
Then I noticed our Webmail program being slow, so I checked it's test page, and discovered that it couldn't see a program called gettext that it needed to work. So I reinstalled gettext. Then my website broke.
So I removed gettext, and (shock! awe!) it was still broken. This was immediately followed by me installing new kernel headers (which I'd missed), a new C library (three times :-(), Apache, MySQL, PHP (also three times), then gettext again.
It was a long night, but everything's back and working again. :-D
Lots of other things to say too, but not right now. When there's not so much work to be done, I'll get all... both of you... up to date. :razz: